This is the blog for Matt Hollingsworth. I'm from Ojai, California. I've worked in comics for 22 years as a color artist.

This blog will largely be used to show my daily life as I live in Samobor, Croatia and as I travel around the region. Lots and lots of photos! Leave me a comment, will you?

All content on this blog is copyright 2013 Matthew Dale Hollingsworth and cannot be copied or used for any purpose without my consent.

Friday, October 19, 2007

So, Nara and I recently did a bit of traveling for one week. Not a long vacation, but enough to recharge the batteries a bit.

I'd been invited to the Birmingham International Comics Show as a guest. And though we were broke when we booked our tickets, we did our best to try to find an extra touch of traveling to squeeze onto the trip that we'd be able to afford. So in swoops Ryan Air. The cheapest way for us to get to the show was to fly to Luton, north of London, on Wizzair. We could then take a train to Birmingham or take a bus. Instead, we took Ryan Air to Dublin for cheap, 15 pounds each. Nice. And, my buddy Declan Shalvey was nice enough to set us up with a place to sleep for free. So, we added that wing of the trip with cheap tickets and no hotel charge. Nice!


The view from the terrace of the room we stayed in in Dublin.




The view from the terrace of the room we stayed in in Dublin.



So, we had 2 days and 3 nights in Dublin. We wandered around a lot and drank a lot of beer. We hung out with a bunch of crazy Irish folks and a few crazy Croats, with me, the totally normal American. Yeah. That's right. That's what I wrote.


Walking around in Dublin.




Walking around in Dublin.



Two of Nara's friends from Zagreb also live there now, so we met up with them. Her friend Zdravka met up with us for a few drinks and her friend Jelena hung out a bit more, which was great. She showed us around Dublin quite a lot.


Jelena and Nara in Dublin.




Walking around in Dublin.



There's some beautiful architecture in Dublin. Where it's new, they've made an effort to have it stylistically fit in with the other architecture. It's pretty nice. There's also some very nice green space.


St. Stephen's Green in Dublin.




St. Stephen's Green in Dublin.




Oscar Wilde in Merrion Square Park in Dublin.




Merrion Square Park in Dublin.




Me and Nara in Merrion Square Park in Dublin.




Nara on the throne in Merrion Square Park.




Nara on the throne in Merrion Square Park.




Me on the throne in Merrion Square Park.




Declan in Merrion Square Park.



Mostly a photo blog for this first entry. More to come soon.

10 comments:

Girl said...

Did you see Captain America's? I don't know if it's still there. I was in Dublin like 6 years ago and thought Captain America's was the funniest thing! It's like a Hard Rock, the only thing comic book in the place was a giant mural of Cap fighting Red Skull, the rest was all music-related stuff.

Also, the menus said "God Bless America" at the bottom.

I love that place! I've got a shirt! :)

Declan Shalvey said...

Captain America's is indeed still there .

Hey Matt, i'm pretty sure all the photos from Oscar to me are in Merrion Square and not St. Stephen's Green.

Nara looks very 'at home' on a throne i must say.

Dec.

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Thanks for the notes. Declan, captions are fixed.

We walked by Captain America's but didn't go in. I was much more interested in getting to the brewpub, Porterhouse!!!

Yes, Nara is the Queen!

Stephen Thompson said...

Some Marvel editor told me that Stan the Man actually turned up at Captain Americas's, did a signing and gave them his blessing for their copyright infringement. I wonder in anyone's told them that Cap is dead?

Girl said...

Funny that it's not Stan's blessing that the restaurant needs... ;-) Though I think Marvel knows of it and has decided to overlook it...

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Better not to martyr them.

Declan Shalvey said...

I once tried to chat up a girl wearing a Captain America t-shirt, thinking she was into comics. When i broached the subject, she told me she got the t-shirt off someone who worked at Captain America's, and was NOT into comics. Which, obviously, killed the conversation.

Sigh....

Smooth as usual Dec, smooth as usual.

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Well, at least she wasn't pregnant with someone else's child.

Declan Shalvey said...

Matt, if you and i have learned anything in the past week or so, it's that a girl being pregnant with another man's child would not stop me...

Stephen Thompson said...

If it WAS yours it might stop you...