This is the blog for Matt Hollingsworth. I'm from Ojai, California. I've worked in comics for 22 years as a color artist.

This blog will largely be used to show my daily life as I live in Samobor, Croatia and as I travel around the region. Lots and lots of photos! Leave me a comment, will you?

All content on this blog is copyright 2013 Matthew Dale Hollingsworth and cannot be copied or used for any purpose without my consent.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Okay, a bit of a rant here. So much for the niceties of that last post.

I fucking hate scooters of all incarnations. It's a nice fantasy of Europe that people in the States have and scooters are part of that. Like it's romantic or something. But scooters suck ass. They're fucking awful. They're extremely loud. And they seem to give off far more exhaust than a car.

I have a neighbor who has one. He's got a really old one that looks like an old moped and not so much like a scooter. He takes it outside and revs it up all the time. And we always want to go chop his fucking head off and shove it up his ass. People race around on them in this area and they're fucking loud. It's like a lawnmower engine or something.

A plague on scooters!

6 comments:

Girl said...

Aw! I want a scooter! I'd get a new one, for one, so it'd probably not be so exhaust-y, plus no revving...I think it's the scooter operators you hate more...at least that's why I always say I hate motorcycles, cuz my neighbor constantly revs it like a complete douche!

--Jen!

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Well, sure, it's the riders. But it's also the scooter itself. I don't think they have to comply with smog certification here. And the engines rev high even if they're just ridden. There are lots of cheapo Chinese ones here. Some nicer ones too, but the cheapo ones are more common.

Newbie said...

I agree! I get so tired of being sound asleep and then some jerk decides to rev up his scooter at 2 a.m.
Everytime I hear one of these scooters, it makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Yeah, it's a bummer when you're having a nice, quiet evening and suddenly some asshole is riding around the area being loud. Thing is, people here *like* to be loud with their cars and scooters. They get a rush out of it. They speed around this neighborhood making as much noise as they possibly can. It's not just a side effect of speeding around, the noise itself is something they enjoy, the bastards.

I finally lost it with the guy who lives here. He was outside with a friend. Both had scooters and were revving them up for about five minutes and I lost it. I went out onto my terrace and started yelling at them in English, waving my arms around and really angrily yelling at them. They got scared and rode off and now the guy only starts his scooter over on the side of the building instead of in front of my apartment. Guess it did some good. Next time I'll yell at him in Croatian, I think.

mcn said...

And then he won't take you as seriously.

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Yeah, perhaps it's better to be that weird dude yelling some strange shit. But then, everybody understand "motherfucker". :-)