This is the blog for Matt Hollingsworth. I'm from Ojai, California. I've worked in comics for 22 years as a color artist.

This blog will largely be used to show my daily life as I live in Samobor, Croatia and as I travel around the region. Lots and lots of photos! Leave me a comment, will you?

All content on this blog is copyright 2013 Matthew Dale Hollingsworth and cannot be copied or used for any purpose without my consent.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Nara and I tried a Serbian beer last night, called MB Pils, from Brauerei MB in Novi Sad.

While it wasn't terrible, it wasn't anything too special. It's better than some, worse than others. Just a basic lager, something akin to Ožujsko. Much better than Tuborg, though, which is one of my most hated beers here so far.



4 comments:

Newbie said...

Hi! I am an American living in Novi Sad for about 4 months now. Be sure and try the dark version of MB, it is very good.

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Hello. I have not seen it. I'll keep my eyes peeled, though. Thanks!

Randy said...

Matt, you called the beer MB Pils a "Lager" is it not a Pilsner? or is there a difference? What Western beer would you compare it to? Any good Hefeweizen there?

Randy

Matt Hollingsworth said...

A pils is a lager. Overall, if you wanna get super simple, there are really only 2 types of beer, 3 if you add Lambics. Think of them as a large family. Lagers and Ales are the main two. Lagers are fermented at cooler temperatures. Hence the term "lagering" when you leave a beer sitting in the fridge or something. Ales are fermented at closer to room temperature. Lambic is kind of it's own thing. It's technically an ale, but they also use bacteria to ferment it, so it's an entirely different beast. Pils is a kind of lager. Stella Artois is a lager. Budweiser/Miller etc are lagers, though crappy ones. Hefeweizen is a wheat ale.

Yes, we have some amazing Hefeweizen here. At the local place we have Paulaner but you can find some others too including Erdinger. Those are tasty beers!